🎒This spring break, we are going to Vienna by train. My husband lived there for a while in his youth. So for him a sentimental journey. For son and me handy that we have a guide to this city.
On holidays, we always try to visit a board game cafe. In Vienna, we went to Paradice Board Game Bar. Beforehand, I had looked up which game I wanted to play. But alas: it wasn’t in the cupboard. So it became Paleo, a game about prehistoric times in which you have to work together to survive. We are lousy neanderthals, because we (collectively) lost the game. Over a 20th century beer 😁
🧩 Game from Asmodee in for review. 99% of the games you read about on this site I have played myself. The other 1% I got as a tip from other parents, rt’ers or teachers. I prefer to play the games with a group of children and hear their opinions. They often look at a game in a completely different and surprising way.
🎤 The biggest challenge (I think) for introducing learning with games is proof. Prove then that you learn better/more/deeper with a game. This is hard (I think) to make very hard, because a game works on so much more than just 1 subject. A game also works on skills and knowledge that you may not have had as a goal initially.
But research is definitely being done. At Utrecht University of Applied Sciences and Utrecht University, for example, escape boxes (escaperooms in a box) are being made for secondary schools and research is also being done on their results. EER stands for Educational Escape Rooms.